View Single Post
Old August 12 2010, 07:07 AM   #114
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher
Re: How IRON MAN 2 ruined Jon Favreau's relationship with Marvel

The Borgified Corpse wrote: View Post
(Personally, I never really bought the emotional connection between Peter Parker & Otto Octavius. These guys have a vital emotional bond just because they spent one afternoon together?)
Totally agree. I've warmed up to Spider-Man 2 in recent years (especially after the travesty that was Spider-Man 3, even though I can find good moments in that film) but I still think Doctor Octopus was the weakest link in that film (well, one of the more weaker links).

You bought the emotional bond between Peter and Norman Osborne in the first Spider-Man because Norman saw Peter as a sort of son that he never had, one that was interested in science, and Peter saw him almost as a surrogate father figure. They were linked with Harry, Peter's best friend and Norman's son, so that relationship felt genuine and authentic. When Norman first realizes that Peter is Spider-Man, there is genuine shock because it's like he's realizing that his son is now his mortal enemy.

You get none of that emotional resonance in Spider-Man 2 at least when it comes to Peter's dynamic with Octavius. I think Raimi and his writers including Alvin Sargent were so focused on making Peter's life as miserable and angsty as possible and focusing solely on that that the hero/villain dynamic became a little soiled and diluted and didn't quite pack the punch that was intended, judging by the ending.

Whoops. Got a little carried away there.
JacksonArcher is offline   Reply With Quote