View Single Post
Old August 11 2010, 10:57 PM   #507
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.
Re: Inception (Christopher Nolan, Leonardo DiCaprio) Grading & Discuss

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Not all dreams are surreal and unworldly. It all depends on the dreamer and the dream itself. So it seems foolish to criticize Nolan for not making the dreams dream-like enough when "dream-like" simply means anything.

Secondly, Cobb quite frankly points out that making the dreams too unreal, to take too much control of the dream, deminishes the reality of it and is more likely to tip-off the dreamer and his projections that he wasn't in reality.
Which is an arbitrary rule that I suspect Nolan only came up with to justify his painful literalism & lack of imagination in this movie.

Ultimately, all dreams are believable when we are in them because our brain has no choice but to accept its own "eyes." I'm not saying that dreams have to be fantastic, surreal, or unworldly. However, I do think that they need to contain an element of the unreal & the arbitrary. Just because a dream takes place in a mundane, "realistic" environment, that doesn't mean that everything has to follow the exact same rules of the real world. Even in my most mundane dreams, there's always something in there that is different from the real world yet made perfect sense while I was there.

To go back to Joss Whedon again, I thought his dream episodes frequently contained nice little touches of stuff that isn't realistic but made (dream)sense. To quote a couple of perfect examples from "Restless" & "Soul Purpose":

"I think I've figured out how to steer by gesturing emphatically."

"Thank you, bear."

JacksonArcher wrote: View Post
However, given Cillian Murphy's surprisingly effectual and emotional performance as Fischer, it would have been interesting to see him as Cobb but I think DiCaprio had the right acting prowess and of course star power to pull off Cobb, and he did.
I think I would have prefered Cillian Murphy as the lead. Overall, I think he's a much more interesting actor than DiCaprio.

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
T'Baio wrote: View Post
The movie went into extensive detail on why it couldn't get too weird.

I mean, don't like the choices because you don't find them entertaining, sure, but when the movie goes out of its way to explain these things and people still don't get it?

Not shit. The entire second act of the movie was devoted to expalining to us their mission, how the dream world worked, and why things had to happen the way they did.
Oh, I understood it perfectly. Ultimately, I think the great failure of the movie is that so much is so easily understandable, that so much of the dreams could be summed up in rules, right down to an exact mathematical formula for how long dream time translates into real time and even the dreams within dreams. In reality, I think dreams are very subjective experiences. Sadly, this movie sacrifices that subjectivity and any real chance for an examination of the subconscious in favor of the kinds of gun battles that we've seen in every action movie made in the last 30 years.