View Single Post
Old August 10 2010, 08:24 AM   #170
CaptainSarine
Commander

Re: Star Trek: Restoration - Onyx

Gibraltar wrote: View Post
Ah, yes... nothing like having your diplomatic mission spark a civil war among a highly advanced and ridiculously dangerous alien species who might hold the very fate of your fragile Federation in their hands.

In other words... Holy @&*$!
LOL! Yeah, the crew of the Redemption have kind of screwed the pooch here, though things are far from what they seem. This diplomatic mission may have sparked the civil war, but it is a war that has been brewing for a while and would probably have kicked off sooner or later. Both sides have a very different way of viewing things, and there are some other factors we are not aware of yet that will cast a different light on what has happened.

Thanks for the comment!

Count Zero wrote: View Post
Ooh, wow. Well, at least we found out what's going on. And also that you shouldn't mess with Qwert...
Hi CZ! Thanks for the comment, glad you're following along with this!

As I mentioned above, there is more than meets the eye in this situation. Still, yes, we now know exactly what has broken loose here, though not neccessarily the reason why.

And yeah, Qwert is not to be trifled with. I'm planning a few short stories showing Qwert in his former life as an assassin. He is much more bad ass than we think.

kes7 wrote: View Post
Qwert kicks ass, all hell breaks loose ... yes, just another day on Redemption and another great chapter from CaptainSarine.
Thanks so much, glad you enjoyed this! Yes, all hell has broken loose and it is going to continue breaking loose as the end of Volume III progresses.

Yeah, another day another catastrophe. As they say, interesting times and all that!

tau136 wrote: View Post
Nice shift of perspective to Onyx & the Fleeters there; as you said before Qwert’s viewpoint is a handy tool — focusing on him nicely narrated the Fleeter’s situation on Onyx . . . good red herring too. Illuminating as being walked through the straits of Qwert & co is; it doesn’t truly explain much; it drops teasers more than revelations and in all the melee on Onyx & Redemption several players are obvious by their absence rather than their presence — Kalara, Ianto, Sarine — how are they faring right now?

Prin is wrongfooted in command for once (a moment of indecision) but no wonder when she is having to think on several levels at once with very little info but then she makes her decision and holds to it — class character drawing. Talking of characters not one of the Laurentii involved is a known name with known affiliations (unless my memory plays me false) so, for all that we’ve learnt, we’re still in the dark too.

It may be Future Trek but somehow it feels like classic Trek . . . with The Starship facing An Alien Race of unknown capability that seems vastly superior; The Away Team is in danger; the Fate Of The Galaxy hangs on the outcome and (naturally) The Captain is lost and The First has the helm - - -
Hi tau!

Another indepth comment here, thanks so much!

I'm glad you liked the shift to Qwert - he is a great character to write, though this scene was more difficult than usual for some reason. It went through quite a few versions before ending up in the format it is here. Still, he is a kick ass Ferengi - what's not to like?!!

There will be more revelations as to what exactly is going on and why in the next two chapters as we begin to peel away the layers of this battle around Onyx Station.

As to the absence of certain key players - Ianto is on the bridge with Prin, and will have a part to play very soon ; we may glimpse Kalara in a brief scene ; but Sarine is likely to be out of the picture... for a while.

Thanks for the comment on Prin - yes, she had a moment of doubt and indecision, but she is a professional. Knowing that the decisions she makes will likely impact relations between the Federation and the Laurentii for years to come weighs heavily on her, but at the end of the day her job is to protect her people and that is what she does.

You're right about the Laurentii we see in this chapter, though one who is mentioned will be revealed to be someone that we know but who has not yet been named. As I said, we will be picking up more about exactly what is happening here in the next two chapters.

I love the little paragraph at the end of your comment! I hadn't really realised how much I was channeling some classic Trek in this set-up (best of both worlds springs to mind after reading your precis) but hey I hope I've put enough of my own spin on it to avoid it seeming like a rehash.

Thanks to all of you for the comments! More soon.

Joel