View Single Post
Old August 10 2010, 04:26 AM   #7
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

Re: "The Darkness and the Light"- was it true to character?

There are SO many ways, with the technology that was available in the Trekiverse, to trick Silaran into thinking Kira was off-station and out of the system (heck, they might even be able to fake her death), or any number of other scenarios they might want him to believe. "Sitting around helpless" would not have been in the slightest bit necessary.

Obviously a resistance fighter will not have clean hands. And I can see why during the Occupation, feelings of compassion would be put aside. But once there is no longer an Occupation, the right thing is to recognize the tragedy that some who didn't want to be there and didn't support the Occupation also became victims of it. The Cardassian government is ultimately responsible for the fact that noncombatant Cardassians died--but this should be recognized as a tragedy and a further atrocity by Central Command, rather than celebrated as Kira did.

And let's not forget how hypocritical this is of Kira: when Aamin Marritza decided he was ready to die to make a point about the wrongness of the Occupation, she didn't want to let him do it once she realized who he was and what he was really trying to do. She even said outright that he was NOT responsible for the atrocities of Gallitep, that just being there, and being Cardassian wasn't enough. She was ready to excuse him...I mean outright EXCUSE him.

Prin's choices, of course, were awful and wrong, when he started going after Kira's friends and then trying to kill her. But like I said, even some sort of private mourning or atonement, something that Prin couldn't see and would never be a "victory" for him, would've helped. But there was NOTHING, and that was disgusting.

Later on--after a very nasty and abusive reaction that I'm sure Dukat intended to provoke from her--she finally decided she LOVED Tekeny Ghemor, even to the point of burying him alongside her father, even though HE WAS A SOLDIER and he FOUGHT at Kiessa Monastery, and he may have KILLED. Yet she excused him too, in the end. Maybe she finally came to realize how her own bitterness was destroying her, and that it had nearly destroyed the spirit of someone who genuinely loved her, while he was on his deathbed.

Maybe in some ways "Ties" helps a little to make up for what happened in this episode. But I still find "The Darkness and the Light" inexcusable in that there wasn't even private atonement.