View Single Post
Old August 10 2010, 02:05 AM   #31
Jonesy
Commodore

Re: TNG Movies...Are We Missing Out???

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
And it was actually Piller himself who thought that First Contact was too dark and wanted to do a lighter movie,
That isn't as I heard it, and I don't understand why Piller would write a dark script, and then scrap it at the end simply because it was dark.
and it was Berman who didn't like his first draft. And the problem of the first draft was essentially that the characters got very young in it, so that they would have needed to recast Picard, Riker & Co.
I am not sure if we're talking about the same script. (which probably explains the mis-communication above) The original version (perhaps I should have used the word "version" instead of "draft) of "Insurrection" was sort of Trek doing Apocalypse Now. It was Picard hunting down and destroying Data. The script was completely re-written. IIRC, the original version had nothing to do with the Baku, the crew getting young, ect ect.
And Stewart didn't want to turn Picard into an action hero, he simply wanted to get rid of the "Captain stays on the bridge during missions" thing.
That was taken care of by the second season of the series. Again, I don't think we're on the same page on any of this at all. Where did I bring up anything about Stewart wanting to be an action hero?