Old August 9 2010, 05:20 PM   #188
SeerSGB
Admiral

View SeerSGB's Twitter Profile
Re: Just watched Star Trek V - pros and cons

Sarek of Vulcan wrote: View Post
captrek wrote: View Post
Sarek of Vulcan wrote: View Post
I saw it more as forgetful diplomacy, where half hearted efforts are made to work together, something gets halfway done, and then the governments quickly toss it from the books.
Admiral Bennett says that he “need[s] Jim Kirk” despite the condition of the Enterprise and sends Kirk & crew to deal with the situation. I used to think it was a pretty stupid decision, but now I think I was in error in taking the Admiral’s words at face value.

I now see it differently. The Nimbus III situation is an ass assignment. When Caithlin Dar says that their respective governments would “stop at nothing to ensure [the hostages’] safety,” she’s deluded, just as she is in her belief that she was sent to Nimbus III to make a difference. Sending the Enterprise to deal with the situation is a half-hearted action. In truth Starfleet didn’t want to pull another starship off a mission that actually matters. The bit about needing Jim Kirk was just flattery.
That makes sense. These people are in a broken down ship, pulled away from shore leave, and since by that time the Enterprise was little more than a figurehead than an actual ship of the line, they figured grab the old folks out of mothballs and chuck them at the problem.
Glad I'm not the only one that sees STV this way. I've always seen the 1701-A and Kirk retaining command more as a PR stunt for Starfleet. They really couldn't hand him his nuts after the Whale Probe incident, not publicly anyway. So they tell the Federation President they're "rewarding him" by giving him what he wants and a duplicate of his old ship. Win, win: Starfleet gets some good PR and Jim Kirk is out of the Admiralty and out of their hair

From there on out: he's given little pissy assignments that no one really cares about and he can't cause to many problems with. Which explains why by the time of STVI the crew is ready to retire.

Ironically, and unintentionally, this sort of mirrors post STIII DC comics in some ways: Where Kirk saves the Federation, Starfleet can't bust his nuts cause Kirk has given all his logs over to a young reporter who makes Kirk into a Federation hero, so they give him Excelsior (which is buggy as all get out) to shakedown and work out the kinks. The send him to the ass end of space for the most part.
SeerSGB is offline   Reply With Quote