View Single Post
Old August 8 2010, 09:40 AM   #27
SRFX
Captain

Re: Star Trek: Voyager - A Marathon Re-visit.

HEROES AND DEMONS - 1x12 - 2/5

This episode starts off with, HARRY KIM IN PERIL! This is becoming a little too frequent to be a coincidence I feel.

And we have another holdeck drama. Whilst this is a first for Voyager, it's not a first for Star Trek and by now, this dilemma is getting REALLY old and the novelty is entirely worn off.

One of the biggest issues with holodeck peril is the audience can't help but ask "WHY DON'T THEY JUST TURN IT OFF??". Of course, there's a lengthy technobabble explanation as to how Kim, Paris and Tuvok's molecular structure is caught up in this holo energy malarky. The explanation is pretty much akin to "WEEEOOOOO MAGIC!"

Making this a Doctor episode almost saves it and although the Danish vikings are corny as hell, I find them amusing and it feels as though the Doc is stuck in a mid-90's roleplaying computer game. But at the end of the day, it's all really lame.

The Doctor caring about Freya dying is just bizarre by the way. I can perfectly understand the Doctor losing a holodeck personality akin to a human losing someone who is flesh and blood. But the Doctor is DIFFERENT to the holodeck characters. He is a sentient being who has become more than the sum of his parts. Freya is a fictional character whom can be recreated at a whim.

Harry Kim Horror Count stands at 3 for being absorbed by holodeck Beowulf energy, and I'll also note Garrett Wang's almost total absence from this entire episode (he gets one line at the end).
SRFX is offline   Reply With Quote