View Single Post
Old August 5 2010, 03:06 PM   #6
saturn5
Fleet Captain

Re: Firefly ep by ep; rewatch and reviews

Mal wrote: View Post
i've enjoyed your Angel reviews, and even though firefly is my very favorite show ever, i'm sorry to say that i won't be following this thread, for the following reasons:

saturn5 wrote: View Post
Naked Summer Glau, a cause for joy as anyone who ever watched The Sarah Connor Chronicles knows ("Put'em back in the holster").
i watched and very much enjoyed TSCC, but i must be missing something here. river is a scared little girl, definitely not Darla in a Box.

Mal tells Kaylee he's considering tying her up, gagging her and throwing her into the hold. She then kisses him and says she loves him. Much like Willow maybe there's a lot of kink beneath that sweet and innocent exterior?
kaylee and willow (from what i've seen of her in Angel) are nothing alike. except, you know, they're both girls. the "kink" as you say, is not hiding beneath kaylee, the girl is just plain horny. deal with it.

ugh.

well, thank god for small favors.

are you not familiar with how girls function?

the show is definitely a civil war parable, and you're right, it certainly did remind me of Ken Burns.

Fanfic;
Plenty of stuff showing Zoe and Mal shacking up together during the war before she met Wash
look, firefly ain't high school. firefly ain't even the post-college 20-something extended adolescences. mal is an adult. zoe is an adult. god knows book is an adult. inara is a professional, as is simon. even wash - as goofy as he is - is a married man, and takes that pretty seriously. jayne has been around the block many, many times. river's just a girl. even kaylee has been attending the school of hard knocks for so long that there just isn't that much of a ditsy girl left in her.

try and treat them like adults. you might enjoy the show a bit more.

Wash is very Xander with his battling dinosaurs whilst Kaylee is very Willow/Fred, Joss even describes her as having the Alysson Hannigan quality. Joss describes Jayne as 'the Cordelia' of the group in that he says out loud what everyone is thinking (sorry Adam, I think Charisma is a LOT prettier)
Simon/River very Buffy/Dawn and 'The Gift' is even mentioned. The Zoe/Mal/Wash relationship somewhat similar to Willow, Xander and Oz/Tara,
i don't even know what half that means. bottom line: firefly is not part of the Buffy/Angel verse. there are no Vampires, no high schools, no incest, no magic, no demons, no teen angst, and,

and, if you can believe it, no blond love interests.

i have nothing against you using your Buffy/Angel review format to examine firefly through a new lens. i just don't think i'm going to be along for the ride if the insights stay down at the play-ground level. mal does not put gel in his hair. space is not So. Cal. it's time to get to work.

keep flying.
Watch Buffy and you'll see exactly how much Willow resembles Kaylee, Wash as Xander etc And you'd enjoy a terrific show too, not just in the high school years

Hey, I don't write Zal or slashfic but it is out there (Wincest so popular in Supernatural fanfic they made a joke about it on the show). Personally I never bought any of it except that Ares is Xena's dad, for which the evidence is overwhelming (and the Greek gods were like that). But sometimes people like to believe whatever suits their particular fetish. I remember when we found out Dr Who's new companion was a kissogram there were a great many people who wanted to believe that meant she was a stripper and nothing would persuade them otherwise.

VERY familar with girls thank you very much, intimate even

No, Firefly isn't part of the Buffyverse, it is part of the Whedonverse and if you watch his other shows and films you can see recurring themes and characters.

Yeah, no blondes so far in Firefly, maybe the Alliance banned peroxide?

Posted my reviews for the first season of Dollhouse on this forum but can't find the thread now. Have a look here http://www.buffyforums.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=11944
and I'll post the reviews for the second season when I get the DVDs in October
saturn5 is offline   Reply With Quote