View Single Post
Old August 3 2010, 09:19 PM   #30
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Re: vote on Inception's ending (spoilers obviously)

coolghoul wrote: View Post
So - they have gone into dream state and are living for 50 years. I take it that they entered via various levels since in order to live 50 years, it wouldn't be possible in first-level dreaming. Are we shown their different levels? (I know you might think this is a silly question but I am going to ask anyway).
We're not shown the different levels in Mal's and Cobb's shared dream, it seemed they were pioneers in the dream field and were the first to do the "dream in a dream" thing and get "down" to Limbo.

Then, evidently in the level where they are alone doing world-building or whatever, they decide to stay on for 50 years. Why is it that this level doesn't have people besides them? Shouldn't their "projections" populate this level? Why is it that they were able to keep their people-as-projections out of this level?

I'm not sure why Limbo was unpopulated, probably because it was less "dreaming" and more "coma."

From what I understood, Mal starts treating this world as reality and locks the totem away. How does Cobb remember that this is a dream? He doesn't seem to have an individual totem of his own? Are we to take it that he doesn't somehow succumb to the dream-world's charms?
Mal was "enjoying" Limbo so much she locked the totem there, inert, which implanted in her the idea that Limbo was reality.

So anyway Cobb decides to do something. What is it? It involves him going into that house-replica and open the safe and do what to the top? And why does it work?
Cobb spins the totem. He must've deduced it was the reason why Mal was so accepting of Limbo as "reality" in spinning the top he puts in her the idea Limbo is what it is, a dream. Unfortuantly this carried over into the real world.

It works because it's the rules of this movie's world.

(After thinking a little, all he does is set the top spinning. Since this is a dream, it will continue spinning and so whenever Mal next chooses to open the locker, she will see it still spinning and realize that this level is a dream. Is that correct? But she will also realize that somebody else has tampered with the totem - how would she know that this is the same top as her totem? Couldn't a projection (either of herself or Cobb's) go in and swap the totem out?)
She may have simply never gone back to check the safe.

Ok - so anyway, the idea that they are in a dream - she gets it. But (in a different sequence in the movie) they are shown to be old. So how do they die (since the kick thing doesn't apply to this particular set of dreams) in that world-building level?
Kicking does apply. They just never used it because they were having a goog time. As for the age thing, movie "magic"/story-telling shrug off. They couldn't die of old age, since they weren't really aging, and the sedative they were on didn't preclude kicking from working, much like the climax of the film.

Who's the architect of the 50-year dream that Mal and Cobb are in and who's the dreamer?
Limbo was nothingness. They built what was there within their own minds.

Only Ellen Page and Cobb enter the 4th level - but whose fourth level do they enter? The third-level Mal's? Page's? Cillian's or Cobb's? (I thought that they entered third-level Mal - who is just a projection of Cobb's, so in effect they are entering Cobb's as architect and dreamer as the 4th level with Page joining in for the ride. So - how come Cobb finds himself at the same world-building level as Mal? Would all his attempts at 4th levels lead to the same place? I would think not - Dreams differ from time to time? How would he be able to "visit" the same dream-level at a later "period" from the previous time he had been there? I'd think what really happened is that he "recreates" the world-building level including projecting Mal as he remembers it.
Dialogue in the movie indicates that if they were to fall into Limbo it would be Cobb's limbo since he's the only who's "been there." Saito wasn't dead since you can't die in a dream, only fall to limbo.

Here the movie cuts away from the decision. Did they tell us how one can "escape" from Limbo?
You can escape from limbo, you just need a kick to do so/not be on a heavy sedative where dying won't wake you up.