Thread: Company Loyalty
View Single Post
Old August 3 2010, 01:09 PM   #44
Robert Maxwell
Knives Out, 24/7/365

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell
Re: Company Loyalty

Cicero wrote: View Post
Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
Cicero wrote: View Post

I disagree. I think it's only antithetical to shortsighted capitalism. Research regularly bears out the benefits of developing long-term relationships between employer and employees. Well-trained employees who feel ownership of their situation produce better results for their employer; only in a world concerned with short-term profits, rather than sustainable profits over years and decades, are long-term employees a hindrance.
Sorry, but I worked for a company that developed long-term relationships with its employees. You wanna know how much they counted for when the chips were down? Fucking squat. Dozens of people who'd been with this company for 20+ years--good people, highly skilled and competent--shown the door because incompetent management ran the company into the ground.
That goes to the point I argued, which is that two-way loyalty is very beneficial to long-term success. The company you worked for either wasn't aware of that lesson, or was very poorly managed. Either way, I'm very sorry to hear what happened.
They were indeed poorly managed. It was in the efforts to clean up management that the layoffs happened--they totally restructured the company. I'm just saying it's the rank-and-file people--the ones who truly produced value for the company--who paid the price for managerial incompetence. So much for loyalty, eh?