View Single Post
Old July 31 2010, 11:26 PM   #11
RoJoHen
Awesome

Re: vote on Inception's ending (spoilers obviously)

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
If she was in a dream, she could have conjured another top in her pocket (or "found" it there if she was still thinking it was reality).

And why did he lock the top away? Did he know it was all a dream and was trying to hide it? There's really no reason to hide the top unless he knew she was right after all...
He did know it was a dream, but she had forgotten. So he took the top and buried it in a deeper level of her subconscious so she would be convinced to kill herself and return to the real world. Unfortunately, that idea was buried so deep that it persisted even when she woke up. That's the whole point of inception.

Plus, I don't think the totem is something you can simply conjure at will. It serves as a reminder that you're in a dream, but you can't just make it appear at will.

Otherwise, the whole movie is just about a guy taking a nap, and none of it matters.
Maybe that is the point: that it doesn't matter. In fact, that's the interpretation that allows the ending to be something other than a silly joke. It's not "we didn't show you the end because we couldn't figure out a real ending to this movie," but rather, "we didn't show you the end because the characters can't tell the difference anyway."
I never got the sense that writers "couldn't figure it out." I agree that you're right, that maybe it doesn't matter. It was more about a person accepting their life and the choices they've made and being able to continue living. Whether or not the ending was real, it showed that Cobb was finally able to get over his guilt.

So even if the top fell over, it could still be a dream. And in fact, if you're going to end the movie with the top "wobbling," then why no go all the way and show it falling over? If you're not going to show it falling over, why have it start to wobble? I think it's because it didn't matter either way.
I think this is pretty obvious. He didn't show it falling over because Chris Nolan is mean!