View Single Post
Old July 28 2010, 06:09 PM   #394
Level 2 Diagnostic
Captain

Re: Inception (Christopher Nolan, Leonardo DiCaprio) Grading & Discuss

JacksonArcher wrote: View Post
I think you can either enjoy Nolan's films or simply don't bother. I say this because as a prolific filmmaker I think you know what to expect from watching a Christopher Nolan movie. He's established a firm reputation for making psychological suspense thrillers. Yes, they're very serious-minded. Nolan takes a very analytical and deliberate approach to his movies. However, if you would not prefer the type of storytelling, then don't bother.
To me, that's kind of like saying no one has the right to complain about Transformers 2 being big, dumb, and loud, because Michael Bay's movies have always been big, dumb, and loud. And yet the Transformers 2 thread on this very board was nothing but people complaining about how Michael Bay indulged in typical Michael Bay excess.

Setting aside the general weakness of the "if you don't like it don't watch it" defense, all the people gushing about this movie has sort of made it impossible to not go see it. Going by the comments in this thread, you'd think Nolan had invented a completely new system of filmmaking that will transform the fundamental experience of cinema and eventually lead to the second coming of Jesus. If you're a lover of film, all the gushing has sort of forced you see it, just to find out what all the fuss is about.
Level 2 Diagnostic is offline   Reply With Quote