View Single Post
Old July 27 2010, 06:40 AM   #360
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

Re: Inception (Christopher Nolan, Leonardo DiCaprio) Grading & Discuss

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Honestly, if I were a filmmaker, I would behave as though people would only see my movie one time. You can't be concerned with the people who are going to re-watch it and look for every little flaw. You can tear any movie apart if you try hard enough. Nolan gives people an excellent movie-going experience the first time, and that's really all I can ask of him. He shouldn't need to think, "How will this movie stand up upon re-watch?"
In a way, I kind of agree with you on that point. I just wanted to offer my opinion about a second viewing because a lot of people talk about how this film deserves one to let everything "sink in." to me, the second time, it all felt like mechanations at work.

You know I like the film a lot. However, just because it isn't a franchise, and just because Nolan is a gifted filmmaker, and just because everything out there sucks, just because there are some great ideas and great sequences here, doesn't mean that I'm giving the film a pass. It's actually a testament to how much I like the film - and films like this - that i would spend the time to analyze what it wrong with it. Other films, like Blades of Glory, Bedtime Stories, and Traladega Nights will just get a "that sucks!" from me and nothing more!

So, ease up on me a bit!