View Single Post
Old July 25 2010, 01:53 PM   #194
CaptainSarine
Commander

Re: SW AU - A Glimmer of Hope

Nerys Ghemor wrote: View Post
About the simplistic dialogue--one thing that is evident in every Star Wars film is that when the really dramatic scenes appear, the dialogue becomes very simplistic, and in some ways even clichéd. In a more flattering sense, it is very archetypal, because Lucas was trying to call on that very basic archetype of the hero's journey.

So, while I normally would have found the dialogue cheesy during the death scene, there is an appropriate context...I can easily see Lucasfilm writing and shooting a movie of this story exactly the way you wrote it. And that, in the end, is a good thing.

(BTW, you'll want to use "multiquote" to reply to more than one person. The mods tend to see 3 posts in a row as "spamming.")
Nerys,

Thanks for the response, especially for the little tag at the end - I hadn't realised that 3 posts would be considered spamming. I'll make sure to use the multiquote reply from now on.

I'm glad that the dialogue follows your expectations from a Star Wars story. It wasn't intentional, so I may need to watch it for my other (non-SW) stories, but as long as it works for this one, I'm happy!

Thanks again for the comments!

Joel

Gojirob wrote: View Post
Excellent, as always. Ani realizing he needs Obi-Wan is very mature. Its almost a pity Han and Ani in their canon-primes never got to fight side-by-side---the hot heads duking it out to see who can be more reckless.

The scenes with Prince Han were also great. Though I wouldn't want you to make this Empire incompetent, I almost await their being taken by surprise on 'some' front.
Oooh, an Ani/Han match-up (or face-off?) would be very cool. I may have to keep that in mind for the future!

Anakin has had to make some decisions in this story that he might not have made otherwise, including recognising Obi-wan's importance, and what he has done for him. He has grown as a man since the hot-head days we know from the prequel trilogy, both because of what he suffered at Palpatine's hands and being a father. I'm glad that shows through here.

Also happy that this alternate Empire comes across as ready for anything - there is a reason things have gone (and will continue to go) differently in this story, and the competency of the Empire is one of them.

Thanks for reading, glad for the comment!

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
Excellent stuff...I'm liking this Solo almost as much as I like the real Han. As for how Prince Solo could have had a Sabbac game with Lando. He is a Prince, and I assume that in his younger years he was more adventurous and a little free wheeling. He could have ended up having a Sabbac game with a group of questionable people whom he ended up liking because they reminded him of who he could be if he didn't have all this responsibility and protocol to follow. I was thinking it would be a one time thing from his past. Nothing overt.
I agree with you entirely on the possible explanation for Han losing the Sabbac game with Lando. I doubt I will ever confirm one way or another whether it happened, but leaving it as a possibility, under the surface of the story, works for me!

Glad that you enjoy this portrayal of Han. Thanks for the comment!