View Single Post
Old July 23 2010, 04:03 AM   #229
Kolrad
Fleet Captain

Re: Inception (Christopher Nolan, Leonardo DiCaprio) Grading & Discuss

Mr Light wrote: View Post
I did find it funny that after all the initial talk of mazes we never actually saw anything like that in the movie. Unless you could that one set of stairs that ends nowhere.
That was probably the thing I found most disappointing about the movie (which I enjoyed overall). They built up expectations with all of the talk about mazes and impossible physics, but when they got to the part with the labyrinth, they just said "We don't have time; we need to skip it"! The second dream did a good job of topping the first with all of the gravity changes, but the third dream was a bit of a letdown.

It ended up that the most interesting dream in the movie was probably during Ariadne's training near the beginning. If they needed the characters to save time in the third dream, I think it would have worked better to start at the entrance to the labyrinth rather than starting a mile or two away from the building and having to travel there through the snow (as neat as the location was).

I think I said this before, but another thing I thought was odd was that the movie showed Ariadne making her totem out of a chess piece, but we never saw it again for the rest of the movie. It seemed to violate the rule about firing a gun in Act 3 if you show it on the mantelpiece in Act 1. Wouldn't it have been interesting to work that into the story somehow?

Kolrad is offline   Reply With Quote