View Single Post
Old July 22 2010, 11:48 AM   #17
Kegg
Rear Admiral

Re: Space: 1999 arrives on Blu-Ray!

Crewman Wunline wrote: View Post
Noname Given wrote: View Post
Harvey wrote: View Post
I've never seen it. Is it worth taking a look at? And is it worth taking a look at on Blu-Ray?
I think the first season definitely is. The second season (if they release it later), not so much.
Aah, "Moonbase Alpha"...Yeah, it was pretty low-res even when it was new, by modern F/X standards. But back then, it was a breath of fresh air. Personally, I loved the shots of models of spacecraft taking off from and landing on miniature launchpads. They evoked Luna's airless surface better than any other show to date.
But then, the writers took in in a weird direction, with interdimensional travel, and it got harder to suspend disbelief.
While the visuals and much of the character's serious, sedate atmosphere were strongly influenced by 2001; the series itself was no stranger to bizarre space opera happenstance and sci-fi paranormalities. Pretty much the entire premise of the moon propelled out of Earth's orbit and periodically warping in and out of solar systems as part of a natural progression doesn't withstand much scientific scrutiny, but such is the way of things.

I think it's got a dozen pretty fun episodes in the first season and a visual aesthetic that I've always liked (I grew up with this show, really) so I might go and grab the Blu-Ray. I'm not a huge Gerry Anderson fan; and British sci-fi TV is largely something I give a pass to, but I've always liked this one show.

It's funny to think the show is now set eleven years in the past; and I remember when 1999 sounded like some distant future year (even when it was less than a decade away), memories...