Old July 21 2010, 03:19 AM   #171
Ugly Sweater
Trekker4747

Re: Inception (Christopher Nolan, Leonardo DiCaprio) Grading & Discuss

I've a question re: The "Dream Time Dilation."

I forget the I forget the actual conversions but let us assume this:

The real world: 1 minute passes.
The first dream world: 10 Minutes Pass.
The second dream world: 100 minutes (1 hour 40 minutes) pass. In the final act of the film this is the world in the city/in the van.
The third dream world: 1000 minutes pass. (16 hours 40 minutes). In the the final act of the fim this is the world in the hotel.
The fourth dream world: 10,000 minutes pass. (About a week.) In the movie this is the Goldeneye for the N64 snow fortress dreamworld.
The fifth dream world: 100,000 minutes pass. (About a week past two months) In the movie this is the surreal "limbo" dream world.

I believe in the movie the time dilation is a bit more exponetial than this, it seemed suggested that the "bottom" dream world would be something like years compared to the 16 hour flight.

Also, they originally thought they had vastly more time to complete their mission but the subject's "dream immune system" forced them to speed up the mission.

So while our characters are in the deeper dream world (the Snow Fortress one) in the "first" dream world with the van time is slowed down to show the time dilation effect, it's takes the van the final 20 minutes or so of the movie to fall fromt he bridge and hit the water. Meanwhile time movies normally for all of our other characters in the lower dream worlds. If time was moving so slowly shouldn't we have seen the guy floating around in zero-g moving slowly? And when Leo drops down a level to "limbo" shouldn't we have seen the snow-fortress level moving slowly now? Or were they "fooling with" time differently with those other levels with "movie time" by simply removing the uneeded moments of people walking around. (i.e. things weren't occuring in "real time."