View Single Post
Old July 20 2010, 09:20 PM   #154
stj
Rear Admiral

Re: Inception (Christopher Nolan, Leonardo DiCaprio) Grading & Discuss

davejames wrote: View Post
Kegg wrote: View Post
While I had elaborate theories in my head about maybe the whole thing being a dream (and I had a sneaking suspicion that Ariadne = Mol; I can just imagine Cobb being introduced to Mol as the star pupil in Nicholas Cage's class...); I'd generally discount that for the existence of opposite viewpoints in the film.
Same here. There are several scenes (not to mention action sequences) where Cobb is no where around. And while I HAVE had dreams where I became someone else (a character in a movie, for instance), I have a hard time believing Cobb really imagined himself as every one of the characters in this movie.
As I've made the same point less clearly, obviously I agree. The opening sequence is not very realistic, but Nolan doesn't do realism. Remember it is no more unrealistic than the conclusion. If the one must be labeled a dream because it's unrealistic, then the other must. The movie, however, isn't all that well written: Just because weird stuff happens doesn't mean it's a dream, it may just mean it's badly written!