Old July 20 2010, 01:04 AM   #599
Harvey
Admiral

Re: Movies Seen in 2010

160. Predator 2 [B-]
161. The Mask [D+]
162. Insomnia [B+]
163. One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest [A-]

Some quick, incoherent (probably) thoughts...

Predator 2: Blasphemy once again, but I think the sequel is superior to the original. Once again, the movie comes down to the last act's confrontation between the lead (this time, Danny Glover, who is sort of miscast, but manages to fit the role as the film goes on) and the Predator, but unlike the original, the first two acts are pretty engaging. It's a little 1980s, but I like the texture provided by the film's near-future Los Angeles that's just a little different than the present (Jamaican gangs, global warming making everyone have to carry around water, licensed prostitution). I also like the diverse cast--heck, it's probably the most diverse cast I've seen from an 80s action movie.

The Mask: When I was eight, I remember liking this movie a lot. I would parade around the house echoing the Mask's catchphrases of "smokin!" and "somebody stop me!" Alas, I am no longer eight. The movie is rarely funny, the plot is nonsensical, and I find myself having little patience for Jim Carrey here.

Insomnia: This is a terrific thriller (this is the second time I've seen it), but it loses points for an awfully glaring plot contrivance: Hilary Swank's lucky discovery of an old newspaper with a story about the corruption probe into the LA Homicide Department.

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest: For some reason I've missed this one until now. I was struck by a few things. First, the cast is terrific, with quite a few actors (Christopher Lloyd, Brad Dourif, Danny DeVito) who would go onto much bigger things in smaller roles. Second, I was struck by Nurse Ratched. She's built up to be one of the great villains in screen history, but with the exception of what happens at the end (she ruins all of Brad Dourif's progress in order to implicate Jack Nicholson so he can be lobotomized) she's a little in love with power, but hardly evil.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote