View Single Post
Old July 19 2010, 10:04 PM   #118
Ometiklan
Commander

Re: Inception (Christopher Nolan, Leonardo DiCaprio) Grading & Discuss

Hmm, stj, I don't really know what to make of your post. I am sure you had a valid point (maybe a general review?) but I am just not getting it out of what you wrote. It is a little less than coherent; perhaps you could provide some clarification?

I do agree with you that the scifi themes were underexplored, that
only real exploration of the dreams (or movies) vs. reality theme is the Murphy catharsis which is at best a minor part of the movie
, but I think that comes from Nolan making a heist movie rather than a scifi movie.

I also have to disagree with you on what I perceive to be your statement about the movie characters and Page's character in particular. Just because she is given a name from mythology doesn't mean that her character must mirror the mythological one, nor must it always reinforce the theme of the movie. Sometimes it can just be a tip of the hat to some related ideas. To me this name dropping is similar to that of the tv show LOST. Including novel titles and philosopher names can be used to parallel the themes of an episode, but sometimes they are just there for fun. Not tying them wholesale into the narrative doesn't make the character or character designs a failure as you seem to indicate.
Ometiklan is offline   Reply With Quote