View Single Post
Old July 19 2010, 06:43 AM   #95
Too Much Fun
Commodore

Re: Inception (Christopher Nolan, Leonardo DiCaprio) Grading & Discuss

Mr Light wrote: View Post
Excellent movie! Have a question though.

How much control of the world did they have? Kitty Pryde was altering the world in the test scenario but Leo said that if you do that they'll realize it's a dream. So I took that to mean that once she pre-creates the scenario and the target is in the world you can't change it or he'll wake up.

But they had the guy sedated and told him it was a dream. So couldn't they have altered things then?

The point where they're shooting in the warehouse and Cobra Commander can't hit the guy then Shinzon comes along with a grenade launcher and says think bigger... was that supposed to be him imagining a larger weapon? Or did he literally just grab that weapon from their pre-existing stash?

And at the end when they're in limbo, they earlier said that Leo and the wife were gods there and created reality to their liking. So why couldn't Leo or Kitty alter it to whatever they wanted it to be?

And the ending... were we supposed to be left to our interpretation whether the top falls or not? It looked like it was wobbling at the end, and before in the dream it never wobbled. Because if that WAS still the dream, then what happened? Leo finds Old Man Ra'sh Al Ghul in limbo, then thinks he escapes but is just in a further dream construct? And he never woke up on the plane and we never saw a real world resolution to the caper?
I just want to say I find it adorable how you refer to the actors as characters they played in other movies. I hate being kinda the lone voice of dissent about this movie. It seems most people are either praising it or analyzing it, but no one's criticizing it. I didn't hate it, but I do think there's a lot wrong with it that nobody seems to acknowledge or notice. Mostly I wish there were more creative action sequences (to go with the zero gravity one, which did rule) and more interesting dialog, acting, and character development.

I did neglect to mention in my previous post that I really dug the emotional arc of Leo's character. I liked how his issues with his wife were handled, and the scene where he talks about letting go of her was one of the few parts I found really poignant and could relate to (the scene where Cillian's character opened the safe was touching too). The movie could have used more scenes like those. I wish I could be on board with everyone else, because it's nice to share everyone's enthusiasm about something.

When it comes to this movie, I can only do that about the ending. I'm pretty damn sure the top never stopped spinning, and like so many others have reported, everyone in the theatre I was in let out a collective "OHHHHHHHH" when they realized what that implied, and I was right there with them. I can't help but think you people insisting it was about to topple are just talking wishful thinking. I wanted it to topple so bad. I was practically holding my breath/at the edge of my seat waiting for it to show the slightest sign it might topple (and I think everyone around me was too) and the reason everyone gasped was because it clearly didn't. Coolest ambiguous ending since "Before Sunset" .
Too Much Fun is offline   Reply With Quote