View Single Post
Old July 18 2010, 02:41 AM   #58
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh
Re: Inception (Christopher Nolan, Leonardo DiCaprio) Grading & Discuss

Before I got into my review, I have to mention a couple of things about the trailers I saw. I went to a Japanese IMAX (my first IMAX experience) and I noticed that in the trailer of Inception they showed (which was a bit weird in itself, I've never seen that happen in the States) was exactly the same as the third trailer but with five shots of Ken Watanbee (who I noticed was absent from the trailer prior to seeing this one).

We also got to see the Tron: Legacy trailer (which is my most anticipated film of the year, even more so than Inception was), and although it was dubbed, it was amazing to see Tron on IMAX. I cannot wait to see it in December.

And now onto my review...

Like Pixar, Christopher Nolan can't do wrong. Like others have said, I expected to get more of a mindfuck but I still loved every moment of this film. I expected the film to end explicitly stating Cob was still dreaming as a final mindfuck, but in a way, I'm glad that didn't happen.

However, the reason I expected this particular mindfuck is born from the one issue I have with the film: As Cob noted, Ariadne was a quick learner, but that doesn't explain how she was so perspective in regards to Cob's mental state. How was she able to suddenly gain deep insight into Cob's psyche when Arthur didn't despite knowing that Mal kept popping up? Because of her incredible insight, I expected that "reality" was a dream and that Ariadne was visiting Cob as means to bring him out.

That minor flaw aside, the film was incredible from the cast to the special effects (limited CGI and relying on traditional filmmaking) to the original story. Nolan has stated that Stanley Kubrick (who is my favorite director) is his idol and it shows. I'm beginning to feel like Nolan might be surpass Kubrick at some point. Only time will tell.

CaptainCanada wrote: View Post
Regarding the ending, someone pointed out on another site that whenever Cobb is in the real world, he doesn't have his wedding ring on; in the dream world, he does. At the end of the movie, he doesn't have a ring on, implying that the world is real.
Interesting, I didn't notice that, but that's hardly surprising. Nolan's films always have a lot of layers that you don't notice completely on the first viewing.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote