View Single Post
Old July 15 2010, 07:17 PM   #9
Mallet
Fleet Captain

Re: Inception (Christopher Nolan, Leonardo DiCaprio) Grading & Discuss

Saw this last night at a press screening.

I voted "Above Average" but it is a hard movie to judge or rate.

All of the individual aspects of it are amazing, the acting, the cinematography, the action scenes, etc... The fact that it is a big original science fiction movie is great.

But something did feel a bit off. I don't quite know how to explain it. You know the saying that "The whole is greater then the sum of the parts"? Well, this film feels a bit like the opposite of that. All the individual parts were great, but the whole was a little less then the sum.

Still I still had to give it a good review, there is just too much going on that is great. Nolan is a master at great action sequences and dramatic visuals.

Maybe it was that since the movie involves dreams and reality you just can't help but expect some of the plot twists that are coming. It's like going into a M. Knight Shyamalan film, you know there will be a twist so you are constantly looking for it or waiting for it.

Anyways, I can't say any more about it with out spoiling things, so I won't.

All I can do is say, yes go see this film, but... don't get your expectations up to high for it. I had high expectations and felt a little let down when it was over and from the audience reaction it seemed that a lot of people felt much the same way. (On the other hand my girlfriend didn't have much expectations for it (she just likes Ellen Page and Leo) and she really, really liked it.)

So see it, just don't expect The Dark Knight level of awesome.