View Single Post
Old July 15 2010, 06:20 PM   #2640
F. King Daniel
Admiral

Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

Sarek of Vulcan wrote: View Post
One of the things I love about the movie is that it restores the idea that starships are truly massive, powerful vessels, and commanding one is a grave undertaking with great responsibility. As much as I enjoyed the previous Trek movies, only a handful of them came close to this idea. In STXI, the Kelvin, the Enterprise, huge, state of the art, complex starships that felt real, that had mass and weight, they conveyed a sense of awe and technical wonder, that these truly were the best ships of the line. I can almost believe that they really did (or will) exist.
Agreed 100%. Although it had less Enterprise than any prior film, they made starships special, in I way I haven't felt since I read Diane Carey's old novels Final Frontier and Dreadnought.

For the first time I "believed" we were seeing people on giant starships and not plywood sets. I thought the huge breweries and power plants looked fantastic as starship guts.