View Single Post
Old July 8 2010, 07:48 AM   #16
blssdwlf
Commodore

Re: The Reactor Room (a McGuffin perhaps?)

Timo wrote: View Post
...it could be easily argued that the main energizer wasn't providing power but merely re-charging the dilithium crystals.
Exactly.

...Well, not exactly. The device in "Alternative Factor" wasn't called the main energizer specifically. Perhaps the TMP version of the ship has several, and the one called "main" is the one that nurses the crystals back to health in situ, without the services of Lt Masterson and her special department? Thus, when Scotty says the "main energizer" or "main energizers" is/are out, he's saying that main power is out because the crystals are screwed (a somewhat standard occurrence, perhaps) and stays out because the energizer cannot "unscrew" the crystals in situ (an unusual situation). That's why he had to "take" "the mains" (the primary power system) offline - because most of it is working, but a single component is not, and the means of repairing that single component is damaged as well. Spock knows he can bypass the repairing device and repair the component himself, after which Scotty could flip the switch back on.
Sorry Timo, I left out or wasn't clear was that under normal operating conditions, the energiser in "Alternate Factor" would also be channeling power to the ship since it was part of the "energising circuit". Masters probably took the dilithium crystal circuit offline to let the energiser feed the crystals exclusively, IMO. I called it the main energiser because the dilithium crystals handle the main load from the series and they were part of this particular energiser circuit. There are probably auxiliary energiser circuits as well as emergency bypass circuits that don't do any power buffering like what the dilithium crystals do.

As to the mains going offline in TWOK, I figure that it was damage from the phaser fire from the Reliant which happen to hit the exterior of where that room is located. We've seen the main energiser go out in "The Doomsday Machine" due to damage.

We just know from Spock's actions in that room that he was able to bring the main energizer back online
Again, not exactly. After Spock is done, "the mains" are back online, not "the main energizer" explicitly. And I postulate the two are not the same thing; the former is what one calls the entire main power system, and the latter is a component that serves this system.
I dunno if that is splitting hairs

In "The Doomsday Machine" the main energizer is damaged, taking out the warp drive. If the main energizer is out, then no warp drive. Since TWOK needed warp drive back online, then the main energizer needed to be back online. Spock happened to repair the "mains" which could easily mean "main energizer".

In the initial attack on the Enterprise, Khan strafes the area on the engineering hull that would correspond to the "death room" and all the gear around it which Scotty reports the "main energiser" is out. So there is strong correlation that the "mains" are the same as the "main energiser".

So it looks like the radiation in the room can be decontaminated in 2 hours but only after the warp engine was taken offline.
I'd argue the room is off limits for two hours if nobody has unscrewed the cap to the radiation-filled dilithium crystal dumbwaiter. If somebody does that, the room is off limits for two years...
LOL Considering Scotty was willing to refit the ship in two weeks, they could just swap another un-radiated room in there but most likely it had to be decontaminated to be considered for refit by Scotty
blssdwlf is offline   Reply With Quote