View Single Post
Old July 7 2010, 10:01 PM   #87
Kegg
Rear Admiral

Re: The Twilight Saga: Eclipse - Discussion and Grading

Gaith wrote: View Post
]Maybe with adults, but I believe in the value of presenting children with moral instruction via art. You may now assail me to your heart's content.
I think that's up to parents, not you, frankly. And Twilight is marketed and sold as aimed at teenagers; not children. Thankfully I had more leinent parents then that, I think; I remember reading The Iliad at age twelve and being blown away at the depth and complexity of the work. I still have a deep fondness for Hector; a loving father and husband who was also mercilessly brutal on the battlefield.

But no, I guess I should have read Harry Potter (I'm not sure if it had been invented yet, aber); and given some of the philosophy reading of my teenage years a pass. Anything even remotely antinomian, heaven forfend!

Your implicit suggestion that sermons can't entertain is totally absurd.
Actually my implict suggestion is that entertainment need not be sermons. If I was against the very idea of sermonizing entertainment why would I be a Trekkie?

Well, I believe that the vast majority of recreational video games, especially GTA.
That's just plain ridiculous. I could understand this argument if you were against video games and/or entertainment sui generis; but you think it's a waste of people's time to enjoy entertainment that isn't moralizing at them? Entertainment is pretty much by definition a timewasting activity; it's what we do for fun. Maybe some people's ideas of fun involve elaborate mental games or narratives that demand to be interrogated; maybe trashy guilty pleasures; maybe middling middle-brow entertainment; maybe staring at a damn brick wall; maybe all of the above (brick walls can be pretty interesting.)