View Single Post
Old July 7 2010, 07:59 PM   #12
blssdwlf
Commodore

Re: The Reactor Room (a McGuffin perhaps?)

Timo wrote: View Post
The floor cylinders were probably part of the energizer room in "The Alternative Factor" in S1 since the dilithium crystals were in that room powering the ship.
I prefer to disagree on that. The crystals weren't powering the ship when they were in the energizer room: stealing the crystals did not deprive the ship of power.
But then again, they were being re-amplified as stated in the dialogue and thus the energizer wasn't being used to power the ship. The ship has other means of power and since they weren't at "full power" they could be running on Auxiliary Power or even the Batteries. (Look at "Elaan of Troyius" - the whole M/AM reactor and main energizer weren't even being used.) Since the crystals were stolen and the ship exhibited none of the "power dimming" or "power shorting" that happens when the mains are drained/interrupted it could be easily argued that the main energizer wasn't providing power but merely re-charging the dilithium crystals.

Timo wrote: View Post
I'm guessing the energizer system taps into the reactor at the base and parallels the vertical shaft and the Spock death room happens to be the top of it much like the floor machinery is the top of it.
My guess? The matter-antimatter reaction takes place down below, in a heavily armored chamber whose dilithium focus can only indirectly be accessed via the dumbwaiter system that has one terminal in that ST2-installed room. The glowing blue things are plasma conduits that take the warp energies first up, then both aft to the warp engines and up either to the impulse engines and to a power tap, or then only to a power tap that then connects to the impulse engines.

The existence of a long corridor ahead of Main Engineering, as seen in TMP, more or less precludes placing the set where Probert intended it. But placing it a bit farther aft would create no problems, except that the vertical shaft wouldn't then hit the impulse engines. Unless it diverged from vertical at some point, which is perfectly possible since we never saw the upper end.

It seems that those exact same pipes are seen serving as plasma conduits in the TNG reactor, running both parallel to the thick vertical reactor shaft and in horizontal branches that apparently head for the warp engines...
The TNG warp core also I think has the same oddity that the energy taps are either much below or above what we normally see. Although in TUC, the clever use of angles would suggest only a single horizontal shaft running from the re-used TNG reactor shaft.

As to the TMP reactor, since we don't ever see where the dilithium crystals are, its entirely possible they could be further below. We just know from Spock's actions in that room that he was able to bring the main energizer back online (and thus the warp system as well).
blssdwlf is offline   Reply With Quote