View Single Post
Old July 7 2010, 03:06 PM   #10
blssdwlf
Commodore

Re: The Reactor Room (a McGuffin perhaps?)

Timo wrote: View Post
...Then again, the refitted ship seems to be slower than the non-refitted one! Or at least we see the refit fly at warp seven at best, even in life-or-extinction situations, while the non-refitted design did warp ten on occasion without seriously redlining and could pull warp 14+ for very brief periods of time.
Hmm. The instances where the TOS Enterprise made Warp 8-9 did stress the engines. Even when at 10 in "The Changeling", Kirk made Nomad back it off. And "Let That Be Your Last Battlefield" it seemed more like a "will" induced Warp 10. Warp 14+ would've blown the ship up after a few minutes in "That Which Survives". Now "By Any Other Name" does suggest a more permanent boost to Warp 11 capability although I wonder if they needed a Kelvan on board to control it... So if we look at the episodes in order, the TOS Enterprise gradually is able to go faster (after encountering different aliens ) but the engines do get stressed out.

We see the refit-Enterprise go to Warp 7 in TMP to intercept V'ger with a day to spare. If she did a higher warp, she might show up earlier with stressed engines and risk not being able to use full power ala "The Paradise Syndrome". In TWOK, Kirk didn't know he was flying into a trap, so a leisurely Warp 5 seemed ok. TSFS the ship was smashed from TWOK. TFF - shrug - but they did go from Earth to Peace Planet to center of Galaxy as fast or faster than they might have in TOS, IMHO. TUC, no warp speed mentioned, but it seemed fast and unlike TMP where they had a day to deal with V'ger upon arrival, they were trying to prevent an assassination so speed was important.

I'd also like to think that the floor cylinders were part of the TOS design from the very start. It just so happened that they were in a room we didn't see until S2!
The floor cylinders were probably part of the energizer room in "The Alternative Factor" in S1 since the dilithium crystals were in that room powering the ship. At some point, Scotty moved the energizer to be accessible from the engine room so I suspect that the energizer was more integrated and ended up below the engine room. (Scotty tinkered with that engine system alot for the duration of TOS )

Main Engineering must consist of multiple rooms in any case, or else Evil Kirk or Ben Finney couldn't plausibly hide in there. And plenty of rooms can be seen in TAS... But since this ST2 side chamber did appear after not being there in ST:TMP, I guess refits are also possible.
Which would make sense given how much the TOS engine rooms changed over the years.

Who knows, perhaps the room in ST2 is a patch for a piece of automation that failed? Rather than repair the original machinery, which may be badly irradiated and would require ripping apart the entire ship for months, the engineers just opened a new hole in the system and then plugged it with a multi-layered radlock featuring that pedestal as the first line of defense and those transparent walls as the second line. Poor old NCC-1701 might not have warranted better treatment at that time and age...
Heh, that's an interesting thought Timo. Relegated to training duties no less

The thing that is interesting about the refit engine design is that glowy intermix/conduit shaft don't seem to connect to anything other than the M/AM reactor (base), maybe something at the top, and the warp nacelles via the horizontal shaft. There doesn't seem to be anything that taps power from those shafts. I'm guessing the energizer system taps into the reactor at the base and parallels the vertical shaft and the Spock death room happens to be the top of it much like the floor machinery is the top of it.
blssdwlf is offline   Reply With Quote