View Single Post
Old July 5 2010, 05:27 AM   #103
StarryEyed
Commodore

Re: What would a half-Andorian, half-Vulcan child look like?

Nerys Ghemor wrote: View Post
So, while the science is certainly not what would fly in the real world, what I'm trying to point out is that if you approach the problem through storytelling logic instead of through scientific logic, there is sense in the writers' decisions.
Well what comprises "storytelling logic" is a subjective thing so it really isn't up for discussion. Not only is it going to differ between individuals but the same individual's acceptance will vary in different stories. I think light sabers are really cool and I have no problem accepting them in Star Wars because that is borderline swords and sorcery. But if there is a light saber duel between Picard and the Borg queen, I am going to cringe in horror. I have different standards for Star Trek and Star Wars.

I was the first negative responder in this thread and what did I say? I told the OP to use his imagination because that is the only place it will happen. That wasn't a put-down; it was a stating of fact that this thing is in fantasy land. No guidelines can be offered because it is flat-out impossible in the real world. If somebody wants to use it in a story anyway, that's fine but there is no point in trying to be scientific about it because science says no way.
StarryEyed is offline   Reply With Quote