View Single Post
Old July 5 2010, 03:43 AM   #99
TiberiusMaximus
Fleet Captain

Location: A ship, a living ship, full of strange alien lifeforms.
Re: What would a half-Andorian, half-Vulcan child look like?

Nerys Ghemor wrote: View Post
Yet IN the Trekiverse--in that particular context--I think there's an argument to be made that the way the Progenitors programmed their children gave them a deep need FOR hybridization to be possible, and one that would be most pronounced in a civilization like the Federation, whose culture mirrors what the Progenitors had in mind and sees people past racial boundaries. These races are not only programmed to have similar basic builds...with few exceptions, humanoids seem to be programmed to have similar instinctive facial expressions and gestures, and even though there are certain modifications, similar motivations. They are expressly made by the Progenitors to have the potential to identify with, like, and even love each other. Given that, I think that they would feel deeply driven to find the means to be able to have children together when they feel drawn closely enough to each other.

If we took out the Progenitors, and had only convergent evolution without any guidance, than I strongly doubt such attraction would exist, or that ANY kind of interbreeding would be possible. But, when we consider that the Trekiverse species were programmed for it to be possible, and that in a number of cases they are biologically of the same genus, it makes sense from a storytelling perspective.
Thank you for saying coherently what I somewhat tried to say earlier...and failed.

When you think about it, it all boils down to suspension of disbelief. There are people out there who say "Space travel? Bah! Ridiculous!" People who don't enjoy sci-fi because it's unrealistic. There are people who are fine with space travel, but don't believe FTL or time travel is sensible.
My point is, there are varying degrees of 'believable' depending on the story being told and the audience. The question is not "DO hybrids create interesting stories?" but "CAN hybrids create interesting stories?" The answer to the first is 'sometimes, but not always' and the second is 'yes.'
It depends what story you're trying to tell. Spock is interesting because he is half human, B'Elanna Torres is interesting because she's half Klingon...etcetera, etcetera. I'm not saying everyone found those stories interesting, but they were interesting to some. Have hybrids been overused in Trek? Maybe, but then again, so have Klingons. But one can't decide that Klingons have never existed and there must be another scientific reason as to why we thought they did.

By the way, if anyone happens to be looking for an example of a circular argument...not to point a finger at anyone in particular, but this thread is one:

"What would an Andorian-Vulcan hybrid look like?"
"That's impossible, two different humanoid species could never breed."
"But they have on Trek."
"But that doesn't make sense, they shouldn't have been able to."
"But they have...therefore, in the Star Trek universe, it's possible. So what would an Andorian-Vulcan hybrid look like?"
"That's impossible, two different species could never breed."
"Quite possibly, the five Jem'Hadar could turn Data into a collection of four spasming limbs, one helpless torso, and one head that shouts insults at them like the Black Knight from the Monty Python sketch." -Timo Saloniemi
TiberiusMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote