View Single Post
Old July 4 2010, 03:48 AM   #95
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral
Re: What would a half-Andorian, half-Vulcan child look like?

StarryEyed wrote: View Post
Nerys Ghemor wrote: View Post
Hard science fiction I agree with you. However, I don't think Star Trek has ever pretended to be that even with the semi-scientific trappings it has at times.

Personally, though, I look at science fiction, along with a number of other genres, as merely a subgenre of speculative fiction. It comes in many different flavors according to taste, but I don't see any opposition amongst them. At least, I don't see the reason for any such opposition though some act as though it's there.
Star Trek is not 2001: A Space Odyssey but I think it works much better when it doesn't throw believability completely out the window. Every viewer is going to have a different tolerance level but the more the audience accepts, the further the writers will feel they can push it. Before you know it, you end up with magic spell books like in the latter half of the final season of DS9 and Janeway and Paris having baby lizards on Voyager.
The lizard bit was stupid because they tried to explain that one scientifically.

Mysticism, however, I have no problem with because they never tried to pretend it WAS science--it remained mysticism. Whether such things or not is a different matter, but it didn't pretend to be anything else. I actually happen to like those kinds of blended works myself...Star Wars is definitely one, as is the Mageworlds series. (Heck, my Catacombs of Oralius subseries is very much about mystics in a futuristic world.)
Are you a Cardassian fan, citizen? Prove your loyalty--check out my fanfic universe, Star Trek: Sigils and Unions. Or keep the faith on my AU Cardassia, Sigils and Unions: Catacombs of Oralius!
Nerys Ghemor is offline   Reply With Quote