View Single Post
Old July 2 2010, 05:38 AM   #26
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

Re: The Twilight Saga: Eclipse - Discussion and Grading

Three things:
1)
As a fan of the series, I have to say that I'm really looking forward to seeing Eclipse, particularly because I'm interested in seeing how David Slade - who did an amazing job with 30 Days of Night - applied his sensibilities to Meyer's melodramatic material and Melissa Rosenberg's adaptation of said material.

2) The Twilight Saga is one of the only book/movie franchises that I can think of that is 100% 'niche', but has nevertheless become overwhelmingly successful. The books are not for everyone, and while Meyer might not be the most gifted of writers, she has nonetheless managed to create a story that is captivating and interesting to many.

3) Regarding what 'social' or 'moral' impact the novels might or might not have on future generations of young women, I personally think that such concerns are extremely misguided and, ultimately, baseless and unfounded. Yes, there are certain negative conotations that one could derive from the behavior of the characters - male and female alike - throughout the series, but practically anything can be skewed to be negative if one is so inclined.

"Ze director's cut is ze film you saw in ze theater."
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote