View Single Post
Old June 30 2010, 09:44 PM   #63
stj
Rear Admiral

Re: a new Western as a TV episodic series? discuss

Harvey wrote: View Post

More recently, there was The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford in 2007, starring Brad Pitt. I've heard good things about it, but I confess I haven't seen it.
I forgot since I couldn't watch it. After what I learned via MacPherson from Stiles (T.J., not P.J., I can't type anything write, sorry) I wasn't impressed with the choice of Jesse James on the psychology of hero worship and the price of celebrity, etc.

But early in the movie there is a scene where Jessie robs a train. He does so, as near as I could see in the artsy cinematography, by standing his horse in front of the train. We the viewers get shots of train headlight glaring into our brains. The train manages to come to a halt.

Most Westerns show barricades barely stopping trains, and more show horsemen galloping madly to leap aboard with dash and panche. Maybe living by a trunk line for the Norfolk & Western (now Norfolk Southern) has given me the false impression about nineteenth century trains. Perhaps they never traveled above five miles per hour at night. But I'm used to trains that often take over a mile to brake if they're traveling at any appreciable velocity.

There hasn't been such a blow to willing suspension of disbelief since I saw John Sayles' version of Tug Fork river.

Last edited by stj; June 30 2010 at 10:03 PM.
stj is offline   Reply With Quote