View Single Post
Old June 29 2010, 04:41 PM   #535
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

Re: Star Trek: Sigils and Unions--The Thirteenth Order

I'm also looking forward to seeing your take on a Cardassian military/Starfleet memorial service. Overall, this was a nice, quiet chapter. Daro's part at the end was a particularly effective bit- I could easily picture him sitting there, thinking over the characters of the four Guls. He seemed...relaxed...in a way. Or maybe that's the wrong word. He was not agitated, certainly, he was thoughtful. And the atmosphere was quite effective- or maybe "atmosphere's" not the right word either? What I'm trying to say is that there was a real sense of stillness, of quiet, yet of a productive mind at work- not straining itself, taking its own pace, but ticking over in a focused but calm way. I really thought I could see Daro from his time on-screen in this, so you captured him well.

It's also nice to see the "aftermath" explored in detail, and in particular the acknowledgement that the memorials and lists and other minutiae need to be dealt with- and that this is just as time-consuming as the actual business of combat. It makes it nice and realistic, and more suggestive of an actual service or organization, with established procedures and such, instead of a band of heroes just doing heroic things, if that makes sense? It's a military ship, not a band of free warriors.

I must admit to missing the inside joke!