View Single Post
Old June 27 2010, 07:56 PM   #47
Captain_Rogers
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Can Pine's Kirk work as an authority figure?

Apparently some of you say a parallel universe version of this movie different than most of us.

Kirk didn't show this or that.....huh?

No maturity, no sense of authority, no loyalty to his crew...really?!?!?!?!

First off, lest we fortget....OLD Spock told Kirk how to "steal" command of the Enterprise. He told Kirk it was necessary.

After assuming command, he changes plans and sets a course to intercept the Romulans saying that either the Romulans are going down or they are. Willingness to lay down his life and that of the crew to save Earth and the Federation is a pretty LARGE show of dedication.

Later when Spock says he can beam over to the Narada, Kirk says he's not going to let Spock do that, he's going with him. Sure sounded like "our" Kirk to me. Kirk goes into a hard combat situation, proving he won't ask someone to do he wouldn't do himself.

Then when Spock gets all weird and is doing his please tell Uhura bit, Kirk repeats to him their plan is going to work. No question, no doubt. a Leader saying we are going to face crappy odds and win. Period. Sure sounds like a good leader to me.

I think part of the problem is some of you lack any real world experience with human behavior it seems. Many of you lack the understanding to see how being a little arrogant, a little cocky can still mesh with being a good leader and a person who can show caring and loyalty and earn respect.

Based on tidbits we learned about James T Kirk in the original series and beyond, this rather lamely titled NuKirk, this NEW James T Kirk, managed to provide exactly the kind of youngster I expected to see "our" James T Kirk to develop from.

As for Scotty, well, in the original series he provided comic relief as often as he was serious. In this, we saw only one brief aspect of him. And he's young still. I don't hold much credibility for the complaints offered so far.
Captain_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote