View Single Post
Old June 27 2010, 06:42 PM   #29
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

Re: January Challenge Entry: The Nature of the Beast

Whoops!!! I completely missed your reply, Marie...sorry!

Marie1 wrote: View Post
That's a good point too- but I think that's the point. You may never "get rid" of a phobia, for instance... it's in your head. But you can learn to not be paralyzed with fear over what scares you, function from day to day in spite of it... alone, in the dark, it may come back, but you can still make progress. I know people who kill every spider they see, can't sleep for hours after seeing one, move homes because they've seen one in the yard!! Those are responses that should be fought, at least for the person's well-being, or for the poor spiders! And that is kindof how I see over-coming the graft, looking for other things- the love of family etc. to make you work around it...
The only difference here is that you don't use a phobia to serve you as in the end they learned to do with the Graft. They actually learned how to reorient themselves so that some of these innate responses could actually be called upon for their benefit instead of their detriment.

Also true- but a difficult thing to "get their hands on"
Maybe, but if they found a generator not in use...trouble could ensue.

I also love how you worked in phase technology to things other than bombs- such as the matter of the Founders that's also out of phase! Good job!
I admit I got the idea and altered it a little bit, from the Animorphs series, but it seemed that if there wasn't something going on, then some of the things we saw Odo and other shapeshifters do would be impossible due to all that mass.

That's true- they do tend to commit suicide runs when hope is lost, or kill themselves when Founders die especially. I'm not sure how many would be "hunted down" though, at least not in a genocidal function. They probably would be "cleared" as far as the forces could reach, but given what we've seen onscreen, I estimate thousands would use that opportunity to free themselves with a free conscience.
I don't know that enough of them would be capable of that to survive. But only one generation would live, anyway, given that without cloning facilities, and only one gender, there would be no way to continue the species.

BTW, what is your opinion on this--what ARE the inhabitants of Earth, by the end of the story? What would you call them? And what do you think they should do about the choices they face at the end?
Hmmmm... I think that they'll need to get over their guilt, real or imagined- especially those alive who found out what was going on and didn't kill themselves. People tend to plague themselves, and that can hold them back, even if there's nothing they could've done.
Those are problems that the older generation will definitely have--the narrator himself is about 85 or so at the end.

They'll have to be careful, Borg or no, not to allow the graft to exert its power again now that the Dominion has been pushed back, nor must they allow themselves to fracture. They must remain together, find a cure together if possible. I think, since they pulled themselves together, they should fight the urge to consider themselves abominations of any kind, but to realize they're fortunate to be free, and not to have suffered as other AQ species did. And so, moving forward, they must try to help others, better themselves, cultivate friendships, so that they will be stronger.
I have a feeling, again, that most of the older generation will be pro-cure, though some of them will have reservations about it because of the younger generations. Two generations have been born since the Graft, and how they see themselves will be critical. Will the younger people see themselves as having had their humanity taken from them before they were even born--or will they be comfortable as who and what they were born to be, and see an attempt at a cure as taking their familiar selves away? Remember that even how they have related to their closest family and friends is in part affected by the Graft.

They also have a closeness with the Cardassians, a cultural kinship that definitely didn't exist before. Even the narrator, who is pretty much pro-cure, uses the term "cousin" for them, a usage I suspect started with the younger generations and worked its way up.

But the big question becomes, what if the sons and daughters of humanity are not in agreement on whether or not they want to be cured?