View Single Post
Old June 27 2010, 04:56 PM   #26
21Spike65
Lieutenant Commander

Re: A description is up for one of the new Starfleet Academy books

Christopher wrote: View Post
I dunno, maybe that's a stretch.
I don't even know how much of a stretch that is. Those of us in the United States who spend there entire first 6 or 7 years in school essentially just learning arithmetic (just to keep using math as an example) may think that, but that's not the case in every country. I remember one of my college professors (can't remember his exact nationality) saying that he learned much of the material we were learning in college when he was in late elementary/early high school.

Granted, the fact that he's a mathematician probably means it came to him a little easier, but, as has been mentioned, it's amazing what kids can pick up when taught at a young age. I've long been of the opinion that there is far too much repetition in the American education system, whether you're in Kindergarten or pursuing your Bachelor's degree (and probably higher, but I wouldn't know yet). Just thinking about the number of times in school I was 'taught' something I already knew makes me realize how much time and money was wasted over the years.
Next Up: Missing in Action
21Spike65 is offline   Reply With Quote