View Single Post
Old June 26 2010, 11:53 PM   #20
JD
Admiral

Re: A description is up for one of the new Starfleet Academy books

Dayton Ward wrote: View Post
I think some folks would be surprised if they took a stroll through the "young readers" section of any decent bookstore, if only to see the incredible variety of books which are available, the themes they cover, and how they go about covering them. You want your eyes opened? Check out that area of the store. It was most definitely a learning experience for me when I started researching writing for kids a few years ago. My preconcieved notions about what constituted "a kid's book" -- some of which had been formed by some lackluster attempts at stuff like Star Wars and...yes...even some of the Star Trek books aimed at such audiences -- were stomped, but good. There's a lot of stuff out there being written the teen demographic that is most definitely not "stupid," and neither does it treat its readers that way.
Yeah, like the His Dark Materials trilogy, which are aimed at kids (supposedly), but get into some pretty deep stuff like the origin of consciousness, religion, and physics. Plus, the books are pretty violent, one character spends the about half of book two with two of his fingers cut off, bleeding to death.