View Single Post
Old June 26 2010, 02:10 PM   #70
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

View DevilEyes's Twitter Profile
Re: What would a half-Andorian, half-Vulcan child look like?

SpyOne wrote: View Post
DevilEyes wrote: View Post
As for Andorian mating, someone did an analysis over on the Trek Lit forum a while ago and showed that four-sexes reproduction would create huge problems - because 2 out of those 4 sexes would be far more common than the other 2. (Say, if we represent zhen as XXXX, shen as XXXY, chan as XXYY and thaan as XYYY, and then list all possible combinations, XXXY and XXYY would be more than 4 times more probable than XXXX and XXXY. Or to be precise, the ratio would be 13:3.) In that light, marriages in four for the purpose of reproduction would not make sense.
I'd like to see that discussion. Any clue what it was called?

Because I can already, off the top of my head, think of a way to do 4 sexes that doesn't have that problem:
XX XY XZ and XW. When the dna from the gametes comes together to form the zygote, there is a little competition of some kind, and each chromosome is individually adopted from one parent only. Thus, it might even be possible for an XZ child to have gotten his X from his XW parent.

I'm not a big fan of the 4 gendered idea. It seemed a bit contrived to me.
Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
SpyOne wrote: View Post
it might even be possible for an XZ child to have gotten his X from his XW parent.

I'm not a big fan of the 4 gendered idea. It seemed a bit contrived to me.
IIRC, we noticed in the previous long discussion that the Andorian zhavey (birth mother) doesn't actually contribute genetic information. However, she's the one with the lifetime bond with her offspring, while the others often drift away, so it could be hormones from her own system that affects the foetus, which had received genetic information only from the other three parents.
Using SpyOne's hypothesis, zhen would have to be XX in that equation (no genetic material specific to that sex).

But how would that work? If the offspring gets genetic material from 3 parents, it would have trios of chromosomes, rather than pairs. Wouldn't have to be XXX or XWY or ZWY etc.?

If the offspring gets only two pairs of chromosomes, then just two parents (or three, if zhen has to provide hormonal environment and carry the baby to term) would suffice.

my Buffy/Angel rewatch
DevilEyes is offline   Reply With Quote