View Single Post
Old June 24 2010, 11:26 AM   #17
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Re: What would a half-Andorian, half-Vulcan child look like?

Pauln6 wrote: View Post
C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
There is nothing wrong with hybrid aliens and I think it's great that Trek has shown that kind of diversity among its non-Human characters. The overwhelming majority of races in the Star Trek Universe are humanoid--and that includes Vulcans, Klingons, Andorians, etc.,--so compatibility issues should be few and far between, with most probably overcome through science, IMO.
Apes are humanoid, iron-blooded, and evolved on the same planet as us with a common genetic ancestor and yet (thankfully) we can't 'interbreed' without some major genetic engineering.
I think in the Star Trek Universe, most humanoid species are compatible. Some more than others, some less. I think real difficulties occur between humanoid and non-humanoid species (like the Horta, Species 8472, and other life-forms that aren't even remotely humanoid in shape or genetic structure (say, non carbon-based)).
I don't have a major issue with hybrids, I have an issue with 'accidental' hybrids i.e. the notion that there is ANY possibility than alien species would automatically be compatible and the 'prissy' way Trek approaches genetic engineering, which would be a fact of life by the 23rd century. I also have an issue with the frequency with which hybrids are used in Trek.
I don't have any issues with the way hybrids come about or their frequency in Trek.