View Single Post
Old June 24 2010, 10:49 AM   #16
Pauln6
Commodore

Re: What would a half-Andorian, half-Vulcan child look like?

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
There is nothing wrong with hybrid aliens and I think it's great that Trek has shown that kind of diversity among its non-Human characters. The overwhelming majority of races in the Star Trek Universe are humanoid--and that includes Vulcans, Klingons, Andorians, etc.,--so compatibility issues should be few and far between, with most probably overcome through science, IMO.
Apes are humanoid, iron-blooded, and evolved on the same planet as us with a common genetic ancestor and yet (thankfully) we can't 'interbreed' without some major genetic engineering. I don't have a major issue with hybrids, I have an issue with 'accidental' hybrids i.e. the notion that there is ANY possibility than alien species would automatically be compatible and the 'prissy' way Trek approaches genetic engineering, which would be a fact of life by the 23rd century. I also have an issue with the frequency with which hybrids are used in Trek. B5 dealt with hybrids in a much more sensible way.

I think many evolved species would need genetic engineering to weed out bad genes that would traditionally have been eradicated by natural selection otherwise your species would gradually devolve over time to the point where everyone needs medical treatment just to stay alive (such as the increase in allergies we see today). From that perspective a Vulcan/Andorian hybrid could look like anything you want because you'd have to design it in a lab!
Pauln6 is offline   Reply With Quote