View Single Post
Old June 22 2010, 08:30 AM   #8
SRFX
Captain

Re: Star Trek: Voyager - A Marathon Re-visit.

PARALLAX - 1x03 - 3/5

What could've been a boring anomaly of the week-episode is saved by some great character conflict. The scene between Chakotay and Janeway is fantastic and I've straight away connected with B'Elanna as a character. As a person who has a somewhat fiery temper and passionate disposition (I suspect my partner would feel I am putting this lightly), I really identify with B'Elanna and whilst some people might think her ridiculous for throwing things around the room or hitting consoles when they don't work, I see my own behaviour reflected in her, and I really connect with her as a person. Janeway and Chakotay locking horns over the issues in the episode, is fantastic and I would love to see more of this.

Unfortunately, the great character stuff is wrapped up in anomaly shenanigans I just don't care about, and the whole time I'm just itching for the technobabble to shut-up and get to some juicy character interaction. As such, these things brings this episode's score down a bit.

A welcome second episode, that could've done with a lot less TNG-style technobabble, and a lot more DS9-style yelling and bonding.
SRFX is offline   Reply With Quote