View Single Post
Old June 16 2010, 08:56 PM   #28
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Re: Can Pine's Kirk work as an authority figure?

KIRK: I reprogrammed the simulation so it was possible to rescue the ship. I changed the conditions of the test. I got a commendation for original thinking. ...I don't like to lose.
Jeyl wrote: View Post
captrek wrote: View Post
First, it wasn’t a potentially fatal scenario. It was a simulation.
Ya, i's kind of hard to experience fear in the face of certain death when computerized klingon ships go 'boom!' and all you get is a red light that goes beep. Really effective. I could go into detail on how the writers missed the point on what the test was really all about, maybe some other time.
I'm convinced that Saavik didn't know what scenario she was facing when she walked into the simulator. She had probably been in the same simulator dozens of times, often dealing with routine ship handling or scientific scenarios. The Kobayashi Maru was a surprise, Saavik seemed to figure it out only after hearing the words "in the neutral zone."

Kirk took the test three times, if the first time through it was a surprise, not there after. Even if the tester changed the scenario each time, Kirk knew what to expect.

captrek wrote: View Post
As for keeping everybody else in the dark, he obviously enjoyed the flair of it, but it was also necessary.
Kirk might have been thrown out of the academy or even faced time in a Starfleet detention facility. Most likely he wouldn't have wanted McCoy and the others to face a similar fate.

I don't think the prospect of expulsion would have bothered Pine Kirk very much, he was only at the academy as a lark anyway.
T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote