View Single Post
Old June 10 2010, 08:01 PM   #26
Warp Coil
Rear Admiral

Re: WARNING for anyone buying BBC's "Life" on BluRay

Colonel Green wrote: View Post
I can't even understand why Discovery felt the need to re-record the narration. It's not as though Attenborough's accent is indecipherable, and do people in the market for nature documentaries REALLY base their purchase on the star power of the narrator?

Beyond that, Oprah can't have come cheap. Seems like a waste of money.
Discovery re-narrates a lot of their UK-sourced, high-profile programs if they don't have an American narrator. Occasionally they'll keep the original, but they're more likely to re-narrate. I don't know why. I guess they're worried that U.S. viewers won't like the accent or something?

As for why they chose Oprah, it's a matter of business. Oprah loved "Planet Earth" and raved about it on her show. She really helped push the publicity of the series for Discovery. She also said she'd have liked to have narrated a series like that. Then, Discovery and Oprah announce that they are teaming up to launch OWN: The Oprah Winfrey Network (which debuts Jan 1, 2011). So now Discovery and Oprah are business partners. Letting her narrate "Life" is corporate synergy at work, and they also probably just let her do it to make her happy.
"I managed to find Uno and Checkers, and also parts of Battleship and most of the pieces of Candy Land, which I figure, I can mix together to create a fabulous new game, CandyShipBattleLand. War never tasted so good." - Lorelai Gilmore
Warp Coil is offline   Reply With Quote