View Single Post
Old June 6 2010, 12:12 PM   #81
Count Zero
Decidedly something

Re: 5x10 Vincent and the Doctor (Grading/Discussion) SPOILERS!!

TigerOfDarkness wrote: View Post
Having suffered from depression myself, the only doubt I have is whether taking Van Gogh to the present to see how highly regarded he is was a good idea. Self esteem building aside, if I were Van Gogh I doubt I would ever be able to paint again having heard the art critic (based on Brian Sewell?) praise my work. How could I live up to that - every brush stroke would have to be second guessed...
I hald expected there to be less paintings in the room when the Doctor and Amy returned to the museum at the end of the episode.

WillsBabe wrote: View Post
SG-17 wrote: View Post
Question, I've always heard van Gogh's name pronounced as 'go', is that pronunciation just an American thing?
I don't know. But I do know that I've heard the British laughing at the pronunciation (us being such great linguists and all... )
I've always heard it pronounced as van Goch (like the Scottish word Loch). Unfortunately, I can't read Mirrorball's phonetic spelling above to find out whether that's right.

Well, that was the first 'Excellent' of the season for me. I had tears in my eyes for the last 15 minutes. I thought the idea that no one except Vincent can see the alien, not even the Doctor, was great. Oh well, everything I would have wanted to say about the episode has already been said. It was moving, yet also humourous and entertaining.