View Single Post
Old June 5 2010, 08:08 PM   #19
Bob The Skutter
Admiral

View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile
Re: 5x10 Vincent and the Doctor (Grading/Discussion) SPOILERS!!

WillsBabe wrote: View Post
There were so many wonderful moments in the episode. I really loved the moment when Vincent thanked Bill Nighy's character was wonderful for Nighy's reaction. Did he know who he had just met? It's a fabulously ambivilent moment for me.

I thought I'd got it all figured out at the beginning of the episode: oh, the monster will represent Van Gogh's madness, I thought. I'm so glad I was proved wrong. I don't really like "message tv" and Richard Curtis has pissed me off big time in the past for it, but I thought it was well done here.
Me too, and I don't think that "If you're effected by the issues raised in this episode" message at the end was part of laying it on thick with the message, either, it's just something PSB TV does with anything like that. I thought it was nice to actually have someone with mental illness not be portrayed as wacky, or very strange... especially in a family show.