View Single Post
Old June 3 2010, 09:13 PM   #46
FordSVT
Vice Admiral

Re: vendoring censorship

Arrqh wrote: View Post
FordSVT wrote: View Post
So why should the government investigate them for a breach of anti-trust laws? Because they don't like Flash and limit the software they sell on the device they produce like almost every other content distributor in the world does?
There's only so many different ways I can say "Apple's policies are harming other platforms" before I run out of original phrasing.

For the nth time, this has nothing to do with Apple being a monopoly. If they are unfairly hurting their competitors then they're in violation of anti-trust laws. If my interpretation is correct (and obviously, I believe it is), then Apple is currently in violation because their policies are designed to stump cross platform development in the same way that Microsoft did in the mid 90s. How Apple rose to their current market position is not the issue; what they're doing with it now that they have it is.

And once again, comparing this to game consoles is flat out incorrect. None of the console platforms try to inhibit cross platform development in the manner that Apple is. Walmart is just a vendor, but Apple is both a vendor and a platform.
And once again, I'm telling you I think you're wrong. Sony and Microsoft have bought out entire game studios and paid tens of millions of dollars in order to have exclusive rights to certain titles. They have their own OSs, their own development tools, and they control who makes what games for release on their systems. Tell me how this is different from what Apple does.

I still have no idea how Apple is stopping cross platform development when there are like 100,000 apps in the Droid store, and dozens of cracked app sites all over the place for every phone OS you can think of. You really need you to spell this out for me in detail, because all you're doing is saying "Apple is hurting other companies" but you're not bothering to mention how, in any way that distinguishes them from any of their competitors, or a multitude of other companies across the consumer landscape.