View Single Post
Old June 2 2010, 12:12 AM   #394
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Re: Where did Spock go?

Captain Robert April wrote: View Post
A little something that occurred to me while watching a documentary on the Air Force Academy the other night:

Military academies are four-year programs, period.

They're not like civilian colleges where you can just rack up the credit hours and somehow do it in three years. Hell, cadets don't have any reasonable amount of time to do the normal workload (it's a part of teaching them time management and how to perform under intense pressure), let alone rack up any appreciable number of extra credits.

In other words, there is no such thing as finishing the program early! The only way you leave before those four years is you either quit or are expelled.

People's Exhibit #47 of how JJ & Co. don't have a clue about what they're doing.
It only proves that the modern US Military requires a four year program without variation. it says nothing about what a future program may or my not require. That Starfleet is a note for note duplicate of the US Military is not evident

Accuarcy in fictional militaries is often hit or miss, be it Hogans Heroes, MASH,Combat or Star Trek. The need of the story will usually trump reality. I've heard it said that Kirk was too young to be in command of a ship like the Enterprise in TOS. That in reality the ship should have an older more experienced commander. That didn't fit with Roddenberry's vision (which changed by TNG) so we got a guy in his early thirties. We gonna say its People's exibit # 22 that GR got it wrong?

My dad, a 25 year veteran of the USAF (that's him in my avatar) used to laugh his head off at the inaccurate TV and movie versions of Military life. ( when it didn't piss him off) Star Trek was no exception, in fact I think he used to complain about it more than others. Probably because I liked it so much.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.

Last edited by Nerys Myk; June 2 2010 at 12:45 AM. Reason: more thoughts
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote