View Single Post
Old June 1 2010, 10:07 PM   #43
FordSVT
Vice Admiral

Re: vendoring censorship

jefferiestubes8 wrote: View Post
Dusty Ayres wrote: View Post
Back to the government/non-government thing.
Because while many in comics see the iPad as a new frontier to be conquered and claimed, there are signs that something about the Apple is rotten.
How is this different than Wal-Mart the largest retailer refusing to carry music albums due to content within they do not like?

Apple is a retailer that sells downloadable content. Music, movies, books. Comics, E-Comics & E-Books fall under the books category.

Somehow people don't realize they have more than 1 choice for a vendor of a product.
Apple is just a vendor.
Wal-Mart is just a vendor.
Use another vendor.
Exactly, I made the same point earlier. Same with the PS3/Xbox/Nintendo comparison. No one seems to give a shit, they just keep going on about how Apple is a monopoly.

Apple doesn't make open platforms. They've never made open platforms. Why people are up in arms about it now that their market capitalization is at an all time high I don't know, but they certainly aren't a monopoly.

I also have a bit of a problem when a company gets a giant market share through entirely legal means by either inventing or defining a segment and then get their heads handed to them because their competitors can't keep up or bring out a product consumers desire to have as much. If Apple hasn't done anything illegal, why should they be forced to do anything that would negatively impact their business?

"prohibiting agreements or practices that restrict free trading and competition between business"

Nope.

"abusive behaviour by a firm dominating a market, or anti-competitive practices that tend to lead to such a dominant position"

Nope.

"supervising the mergers and acquisitions of large corporations, including some joint ventures."

Nope.

So why should the government investigate them for a breach of anti-trust laws? Because they don't like Flash and limit the software they sell on the device they produce like almost every other content distributor in the world does?