View Single Post
Old June 1 2010, 06:53 PM   #42
David cgc
Vice Admiral

Re: Apple The New Comics Censors

Arrqh wrote: View Post
Again, that was my point. The original question I was responding to was "why would you want an Android phone instead of an iPhone."
No, you were responding to "what, specifically, can you do on an Android phone that you can't do on an iPhone?" Practically. You listed a whole bundle of theoretical things that made no difference in the end. It wasn't until several posts later that you brought up something specific, namely, your different home screen, dialer, and suchlike.

I wanted a specific example. "Buying apps Apple hasn't rejected arbitrarily" isn't a specific example. Which app? What has Apple forbidden you from installing that you get on Android, and which is able to so completely tip the balance away from anything else the iPhone may have going for it. That's what I want to know. "You can probably use Flash on it later" isn't a reason to buy an Android device.

Everything I said in response where things that you can do with an Android device that you cannot with an iPhone. Certainly not everyone will care about these things and I don't expect them too; I do and that's why I went with a Nexus One.
No offense, but I was directing the question at Stone_Cold_Sisko. I wanted to know which apps he couldn't install, how he wishes he could customize the home screen, how he'd prevent himself from throwing a Flash-enabled iPhone through a window in rage the first time he encountered an swf that was expressly designed with mouse-over as a vital part of its GUI.

He had an iPhone, and now he doesn't want it, and all he said why was "walled garden." I'm more interested in practical objections, not political ones. If there isn't anything you want outside the walls, what's the point?

Arrqh wrote: View Post
No, what I want is for no one company to be able to dictate what direction the web evolves in... especially one that has the potential of making financial gain if they can force something else out of the market. Apple's crusade against Flash has absolutely nothing to do with open standards; is has to do with Apple's stake in the H.264 patent fiasco and the threat of people running web applications instead of purchasing them from the store.
Really? How does this track with iPhone, year one? For that matter, how does it track with Apple's slobbering over HTML 5?

I'm sure I'm blanking, but off the top of my head, I can't think of any sort of web apps that are flash-based, excepting games and video players.